Runtime: 91 minutes
Directed by: Ernesto Diaz Espinoza
Starring: Scott Adkins, Marko Zaror, Alanna de la Rossa, Lucho Velasco, Diana Hoyos
From: Many different companies
I was happy to see a new to me low-budget action picture starring both British actor/martial artist Scott Adkins and Chilean actor/martial artist Marko Zaror. The former has had roles in the likes of John Wick 4 and Doctor Strange while the latter was in Machete Kills... and John Wick 4. As stated on numerous occasions, it's a shame that cinema has regressed from the good old days where martial artists like them or a Michael Jai White could have a theatrical career making entertaining action flicks for the big screen.
This project had heavy involvement from the two leads. Adkins portrays a dude who goes to Colombia (where the film was shot by a Colombian crew) to kidnap the teen daughter of a pretty bad dude. Yes, the “kidnapping” isn't as sinister as it first appears; Zaror portrays a psychopath, whose distinguishing feature isn't the hysterical balding look he sports nor how the viewer will blatantly be reminded of the T-800. Rather, it's... he has a hook for a left hand that can also be either a metal fist or a knife!
There are some silly moments, the plot doesn't reinvent the wheel and the pedantic could nitpick... which perhaps I've done with cinema a time or two before... Me, I had a pretty good time. The Colombian setting was a nice change of pace. The movie was shot well & had plenty of what I wanted... brawls, martial arts, gunfights, etc. I also wanted to see Dudes Getting Wrecked (TM) and epic fights between the two leads; Diablo delivered on those promises as well with the cinematography changing when the action beats drop. As they were filmed in a dynamic manner that made the viewer feel each impact, I was more than satisfied.
Diablo wasn't an insufferable film that was overlong or filled w/ aggravating characters or ruined by “modern humor” that isn't funny and ruins the mood nor is it nonstop cursing as if someone or everyone is John Davidson... this is the sort of action film there needs to be more of in 2027 & beyond.
No comments:
Post a Comment