Sunday, September 6, 2026

Fall 2: Deadpoint

Fall 2: Deadpoint (2026)

55% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 31 reviews)

Runtime: 98 minutes

Directed by: Michael & Peter Spierig

Starring: The majority of the film is just Harriet Slater & Arsema Thomas but there’s also the likes of Tom Brittney

From: Lionsgate

For those that thought the first Fall wasn't dumb enough...

I made the climb in '22 & saw Fall theatrically. Despite the plot and characters possessing an intelligence comparable to a pet rock, I didn't hate the movie. At least the effects were solid and you believed they were stuck on top of an extremely tall tower. If you have acrophobia, Fall would be a nightmare for you. Curiosity got the best of me & I checked out the sequel. This is actually my first film from brothers Michael & Peter Spierig; don't worry, eventually I'll see a second from them.

Fall 2 was tackled Friday night before I went & saw the Indian movie Veerana. It was only last night that a Twitter post was viewed—in short, a purported picture from the end credits of Deadpoint reveals that... the movie used AI. I'm sure it's true; one of the producers (Scott Mann) has his own AI company, after all. Indeed, one shot didn't look quite right; it was... of an airplane wheel landing on the ground, which wasn't needed anyway as the viewer saw the plane land on the ground—talk about unnecessary. That will be a deal-breaker for some so do what you wish w/ that information.

Fall 2 is extraordinarily stupid! Virginia Gardner from the first Fall has a sister; I'd say that she looked either like a Temu Sadie Sink or a Temu Emma Stone, but that'd be too harsh. Plus, the character name JAX HUNTER was great. Harriet Slater was fine in the role-she was devastated by the events of the first movie. Hysterically, a random stranger met her one day and... inspired Jax to “honor” her daredevil sister by doing something even stupider than what her sister did... walk the old planks on the side of a Thai mountain (they were built my monks centuries ago, as established in a throwaway line of dialogue) when there's no railing and the only “safety measure” is a chain hanging a few feet above said planks.

Even worse, they did no preparation for this illegal hike, and relied on a sketchy guy in a random Thai bar to guide them. If this wasn't dopey enough, there are many other moments I dare not reveal, because spoilers. At least I was able to laugh AT Deadpoint for its illogic, its attempts to have epic moments that either were heart-wrenching or inspiring... instead they made me AND at least one other person in this sparsely-attended guffaw and scoff at what the movie was trying to do.

While not as successful in presenting the constant danger in someone stuck at such a perilous location, there are still thrills in this particular scenario. Arsema Thomas and Tom Brittney were also fine as the random stranger & sketchy guy Jon, respectively. Fall 2: Deadpoint is OK in a brainless way; I imagine it'll do as well on streaming as the first one did, nevermind the first bombing and this sequel destined to do so. There will be a third one; it is uncertain as of now I'll check out Fall 3: The Droppening (or whatever they'll title it) on the big screen as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment