Tuesday, September 8, 2026

In Search of Darkness: 1990-1994

This is a 2024 documentary from the people that did the very good In Search of Darkness docs concerning 80's horror: 

I had nothing better to do on Labor Day than view all six hours of this documentary. I’ve checked out the three Darkness documentaries covering 80’s horror, and enjoyed them all. The format in that trio & here: a cornucopia of movies covered-whether famous or not-featuring commentary from a wide variety of well-known genre figures, along with breaks between each year concerning major topics related to horror.

After an opening establishing how different the 90's were compared to the preceding decade-and how this impacted the particular films that were released-a wide variety of horror from the first half of the decade were discussed. This ranges from Tremors and Nekromantik 2 to Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Stand. As always, which guests they were able to interview determined what was covered. Charles Band meant that some of his Full Moon features were discussed; the same goes for Jorg Buttgereit.

As 90's horror I am not as well-versed in as its 80's counterpart, it was nice to learn more about pictures I knew little to even nothing about. How many of those movies I'll check out from now until Halloween is undetermined. It's always great hearing from the likes of Clancy Brown, John Carpenter, & Heather Langenkamp, among many others. Between years, the topics discussed include microbudget horror and the rise of CG.

This installment of Darkness addressed some nitpicks that I-and apparently others-had... several TV films were brought up (including Stephen King's It & Ghostwatch) and a larger percentage of films were foreign. This made the documentary especially informative. Shout-out to CreatorVC Studios and director David A. Weiner for these horror documentaries, plus the 80's sci-fi In Search of Tomorrow. It might not be until next year that I check out In Search of Darkness: 1995-1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment