Saturday, August 15, 2026

Road Trip

Road Trip (2000)

Runtime: 93 minutes

Directed by: Todd Phillips

Starring: Breckin Meyer, Seann William Scott, Paulo Costanzo, Amy Smart, DJ Qualls

From: Dreamworks

As sometimes occurs, a movie from my high school or college days was revisited for the first time in ages. This is from my college years; you can imagine the reaction Road Trip got when I was at a friend’s place in my hometown during college break-me and several other people of similar age greatly enjoyed the movie and its vulgar humor. I can’t even repeat the convo-it was as adult as the dialogue in the film-that was had after the scene at the sperm bank and whether “a certain technique” shown on camera was real… looking at Google now, evidently it is!

Road Trip is a silly film revolving around a sex tape and the titular road trip being taken to prevent the accidentally-mailed tape from being seen by a long-distance girlfriend. There are crass moments and topless women, although there’s also the uber-nerd DJ Qualls growing up & becoming more assertive. The lead quartet was entertaining-Breckin Meyer was fine as the lead-although the character portrayed by Seann William Scott was a clone of Steve Stifler.

I know this won’t be a popular take but even at the time I never understood the popularity of Tom Green; nobody better ever ask me to ever tackle Freddy Got Fingered… I wouldn’t watch that even if you gave me $10,000! In Road Trip, Green wasn’t as intolerable-and his role was only supporting-so that doesn’t ruin Road Trip. An opinion we will be more in harmony with: Andy Dick is a gigantic creep. He’s only in two scenes so that doesn’t ruin the film either. Thankfully, Fred Ward also has a supporting role.

Road Trip isn’t the best movie of its type; the movie & its humor is uneven. There are fat jokes but those were still popular at the time. Be that as it may, I was still entertained. The edgiest moments haven’t aged as horribly as the most controversial scenes in a picture like Revenge of the Nerds. I am relieved the film could still entertain me approximately a quarter-century after first viewing. The directorial career Todd Phillips had: this never could have been predicted by me at the time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment