Saturday, August 29, 2026

Mutiny

Mutiny (2026)

50% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 111 reviews) 

Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Jean-Francois Richet

Starring: Jason Statham, Annabelle Wallis, Roland Moller, Ramon Tikaram, Arnas Fedaravicius

From: Lionsgate

I went & saw a genre movie last night, “Jason Statham” the specific genre.

Even I can admit that there’s a wish for Statham to have higher aspirations, to appear in motion pictures that used his comedic chops more often, or to not play slightly different variations of the same character constantly. Some may wish that I should view theatrical films more original than this. At the same time, this current stretch of his career must be profitable for him; I guess he doesn’t want to… rock the boat.

The plot is quite predictable & the victims of human trafficking that he and Annabelle Wallis attempt to stop on a cargo ship from Bangkok seem to be forgotten by the movie for long stretches. This does not mean I wasn’t entertained by the familiar plot beats; you won’t see me criticize Hallmark Channel movies when there are occasions that I am OK with checking out standard programming like Mutiny which doesn’t allow itself for a lengthier review from myself. That’s even when Statham’s Cole Reed was framed for the murder of the billionaire he was guarding.

I wasn’t annoyed by Mutiny, thankfully. The bad guys were generic yet still made nice fodder & the worst SOBs were dispatched in satisfying fashion. Dudes got wrecked ™, for sure. Annabelle Wallis also had a better role than expected. Everything is competent.

French director Jean-Francois Richet made better/more interesting films than this (the Mel Gibson Blood Father, the two Mesrine movies from his native country) but if you want a decent action flick that is destined to be shown on TNT-the American cable network-in a few years and/or are a Statham stan, Mutiny could be satisfying for you despite how rote even the movie’s fans might not be able to deny.


No comments:

Post a Comment