Runtime: 96 minutes
Directed by: Ernest R. Dickerson
Starring: Omar Epps, Tupac, Khalil Kain, Jermaine Hopkins, Cindy Herron
From: Paramount
Peer pressure steered me this way. I’ve never good about fulfilling requests in a timely manner (although in the next few months I will try harder to fulfill a few ones made months ago) but when a few people recommended this in the comments for my review of another Ernest R. Dickerson joint-Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight-I’d better fast-track this & make a viewing a priority. I'd have... gotten squeezed if there was a long delay. Juice was a movie I was glad to see. Some “Black movies” from the 90’s were viewed by myself (a dumb white guy) in the past... Boyz in the Hood and Menace II Society; it was nice to see one on the East Coast instead of the West Coast.
A quartet of teen male friends are followed in Harlem. They are a crew who don’t like going to school-instead, they visit pool halls, run a-foul of a Puerto Rican gang, and swipe LP’s from a record store. Omar Epps (Q) has aspirations to be a hit deejay; the other three don’t have such lofty ambitions yet. The opening is a hangout movie as we get to know the quartet; hints are dropped that once a major event occurs and things go wrong, one of the four shows their true colors. A classic film of the 40’s is a huge hint.
Juice was well-directed by Dickerson; impressive for a quality cinematographer making his feature-film debut. The quartet of leads (Omar Epps, Tupac, Khalil Kaid, Jermaine Hopkins), the first three made their acting debuts. They all performed well although a certain character was able to show menace and intimidation once the film shifts. Samuel L. Jackson had a small yet memorable role, and another acting newbie (Queen Latifah) did well in the few scenes she was in.
The world was unvarnished, a true-to-life examination that Black teens could have experienced in Harlem; the acquisition of a certain item caused someone to lash out and take revenge against others, or show their true colors. In addition, the hip hop score/soundtrack added texture to the experience. I don’t want to sound like a curmudgeon so I won’t elaborate on why I feel the rap songs here are MUCH better than modern rap. At least people like Big Daddy Kane, Naughty by Nature and Erik B. & Rakim didn’t use AI for all (or part) of an album, like Tyga just released.
No matter your race/ethnicity, anyone can enjoy Juice, especially if you’ve viewed such pictures like Boyz in the Hood and Menace II Society. This was a quality recommendation from several Letterboxd members, in other words.
No comments:
Post a Comment