Monday, August 17, 2026

Hallucinations

Hallucinations (1986)

Runtime: 60 minutes

Directed by: Mark Polonia/John Polonia/Todd Michael Smith

Starring: The directors

From: CineGraphic Productions

I know some will laugh that this is my first POLONIA BROTHERS joint. I’ve never viewed one of Mark Polonia’s solo efforts either. Zero budget horror is not something I partake in; who knows what I’d think of his modern films (usually involving sharks) but I do have to give Mark and his late twin brother John props for making a horror picture an hour long that wasn’t so bad the viewing experience was like an endurance test… and it was all done at their house during one snowy Pennsylvania winter when they plus the other director-their friend Todd Michael Smith-were all gangly teenagers.

They portrayed siblings (Smith’s character was adopted; one of the twins was “mentally handicapped”) whose unseen mother “always worked,” explaining why the trio are the only actors in the film. The three have a fractious relationship w/ each other; subsequently, the teens all experience the titular hallucinations that range from “bad thing happens to their cat” & “figure in monk robes” and “snake/tube demon” to other phallic imagery; as this is a film where one of the brothers in his tightie-whities adjusts his peen right on camera… only teenage boys could create such a film!

This is not the time to be pedantic; while the rating isn’t that of a 5-star masterpiece, this does not mean that mad respect won’t be given to them by me. This had more practical effects than expected-and they typically looked great for what presumably was hardly any cash. This includes fake blood and various props. There’s even a prosthetic chest and a DIY version of Freddy Krueger, along w/ other things I dare not spoil. The plot is rather threadbare and more like a demo reel. At the same time, there was a lo-fi musical score + an explanation at the end for the bizarre imagery. Sure, the tape goes wonky a few times and at times the dialogue is quite difficult to decipher; who cares when you see a puppet urinate on a photograph!

I won’t go down the rabbit hole of zero budget horror yet I was still glad to have seen something unique like Hallucinations. If John Polonia hadn’t passed away in 2008, I’m sure he and twin Mark would still be making movies together, nevermind the critical opinion or their quality. The exuberance, the teen excitement, the authentic awkward teen moments, this helps the viewer overlook its limitations.


No comments:

Post a Comment