Tuesday, October 15, 2024

I Finally Viewed Mr. McMahon

In my first of two posts today, I discuss last month's Netflix 6 part series: 

My rating is based on my viewing this as someone who is a massive fun of pro wrestling’s inner workings. I haven’t seen the modern product in MANY years (for a variety of reasons) but I still follow the behind-the-scenes drama so yes I’ve known for years that Vince McMahon had done many bad things. That said, the accusations that Janel Grant made against McMahon-the court filing can be easily found online-are WAY too graphic and triggering to mention here-but it’s mentioned in Episode 6-and it certainly made me look at him in a worse light.

As I figured even before this was released, this documentary (which originally had WWE involvement before they left) would be more for the casuals than the nerds who already knew everything in the six episodes, like I did. It was nice to hear Vince present his version of the truth-believe me, it’s not always what actually happened-and hear from the rest of the family, not to mention all the photos and behind-the-scenes footage that hadn’t been made public before. Ultimately, there were few surprises or revelations in the six episodes, each around an hour long. Perhaps that shouldn’t be a surprise, especially given the announcement earlier in the year that the WWE’s stalwart program (Monday Night Raw) will move to Netflix come January, 2025.

That said, it was a blast from the past reminiscing about what I watched in my youth and seeing that footage from “the good old days.” For those not as familiar, it will be an eye-opener; some jaw-dropping comments were made, but those were stories I heard long ago. It’s not a surprise that some things were alluded to that were never addressed in detail by McMahon, such as some alleged horrific abuse suffered as a child. For a long time now I’ve wished for a biography on him where all the rumor and conjecture about him was addressed, not to mention a detailed chronicle of his bizarre life. The dream is always there…

No comments:

Post a Comment