Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Two Evil Eyes

Two Evil Eyes (Due Occhi Diabolci) (1990)

Runtime: 120 minutes

Directed by: George A. Romero/Dario Argento

Starring: Adrienne Barbeau, Ramy Zada, Bingo O’Malley, Harvey Keitel, Madeleine Potter, John Amos (RIP)

From: A few different Italian/American companies

RIP John Amos

In this special early Wednesday post, I mention how Good Times was before my time but hearing that he passed away in late August-the news just breaking yesterday-still made me a little melancholy. It was always nice seeing that familiar face on TV shows and in movies, not all of which have been reviewed by me. One day I should check out Coming to America for the first time since my youth… it was Letterboxd that reminded me he was in Two Evil Eyes, an anthology I’ve known of for years and its easy availability gave me that final push.

Originally, Argento wanted to do this anthology w/ Romero, Carpenter, and either Craven or Stephen King-I’ve heard both. Only the two that worked together on Dawn of the Dead were able to participate yet I can’t complain about getting to see those famed horror director do modern versions of Edgar Allan Poe stories where each story gets time to breathe. The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar and The Black Cat are the two cases adapted; the former revolves around an old man on his deathbed, his much-younger gal and a shady doctor--while the latter features a photographer, his gal, and the titular black cat. It is a magnificent-looking beast but those that don’t like animal deaths, please beware.

The first half was directed by Romero; it was low-key yet still fascinating seeing the story slowly unfurl w/ several people from Creepshow, including Adrienne Barbeau and E.G. Marshall. The second half was flashier, for sure; it not being shown first was the right decision. Harvey Keitel was about what you’d expect as a crime scene photographer; in fact, he YELLS on several different occasions. He also has a hysterical appearance in that-among other things-he wears berets. Not as legendary as the all-timer appearance he has as a pimp in Taxi Driver, but…

Both segments had different vibes which could be seen as a detriment by some-I didn’t mind too much. Both were shot well and had distinct scores from Pino Donagigo which fit the material. The Tom Savini gore effects were in fact effective when used. The second segment having Keitel, Amos (memorable in the few scenes he was in), Martin Balsam and Kim Hunter as a couple… wild that they all did an Argento film involving the unfortunate myths surrounding felines that happen to be pitch-black in color.

Opinions on the film are mixed; myself, it had enough macabre delights to make me believe it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment