Thursday, May 23, 2024

Super Size Me

Yes, I'm discussing the infamous Morgan Spurlock documentary from 20 years ago. The reason why I'm down on it will be readily apparent: 

I rate this documentary so lowly... because much of it is phony.

At the time, I wasn't a big fan. No s***, Spurlock (to steal a line I really wish was invented by me) of course if you eat an unreasonable amount of McDonald's food constantly for an entire month there will be adverse effects. He wasn't a very compelling protagonist as the focus of what could have been an interesting documentary that raises issues about such topics as obesity in America, fast food addiction, school lunches, advertising, etc. Those points are brought up but aren't elaborated upon enough or very well. Instead it's some goof doing a publicity stunt.

That's what I thought all these years. Recently, new facts were learned. Did you know that Morgan Spurlock was a hardcore vegan like his vegan chef girlfriend was? That was never addressed. Neither was his alleged alcoholism he's had since his early teens; this explains his liver that famously in one scene was mentioned as being incredibly damaged. Then there's the holier than thou attitude where Americans are called “stupid” in blanket statements for eating fast food that some have interpreted as racist as low-income and/or minorities happen to eat at fast food as it's cheap in comparison and convenient. The film undoubtedly does have a condescending attitude either way. It's not the film's fault but YIKES at the appearance of JARED FOGLE... at a SCHOOL speaking to children. Not even the usage of Rock 'n' Roll McDonald's from Wesley Willis could do much to delight me.

As the data/information presented here can't be trusted and is outdated anyhow, there is no real reason to ever view Super Size Me when it has an unlikable host even before you hear that he's also a sex pest... I won't fault anyone who still looks upon Super Size Me favorably despite the information I just shared in this review. In regards to myself, I'm glad that there is now a better variety of quick-service meals in the United States & more options at places like McDonald's. No one should be shamed for eating at such places at least once in awhile; especially if you have a family, it's an inconvenience to cook a meal at home, the healthy options at the grocery store are always more expensive anyhow—still, any fast food isn't bad as long as there's moderation. 

Without having any expertise in the health field (let alone my appearance resembling the polar opposite of Jason Momoa!), common sense dictates that eating everything in moderation-with variety-and exercise as minimal as walking can help you be in OK health. Sometimes I need to follow my own advice...

No comments:

Post a Comment