Saturday, May 25, 2024

Marnie

Marnie (1964)

Runtime: 130 minutes

Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock

Starring: Tippi Hedren, Sean Connery, Diane Baker, Martin Gabel, Louise Latham

From: Universal

Note that my rating is not impacted at all by the alleged behavior of Hitchcock towards Tippi Hedren while filming this movie; it wasn’t physical but that behavior was the type to get him canceled in our modern world. I love Hitch the director; Hitch the human being and his behavior towards some people is quite objectionable. No way can I defend those actions and I feel sympathy for her that she had to deliver a performance in this film under those conditions.

My objections to Marnie the film was how Marnie the lead character was treated. Her behavior is due to childhood trauma; a few different moments trigger her and by the end, each are explained. Also explained is the poor treatment received by her from her mother. It’s an ugly reason; although, far worse in that regard is the treatment she receives from Sean Connery, who sports a rather bizarre accent, Philadelphia by way of Scotland. I’ll just mention the thinly veiled sexual assault, attempted suicide, mansplaining, more than casual 60’s sexism AND animal death for those that are upset by such content for a number of valid reasons.

Of course, it was a handsomely mounted production and I can’t find much fault with the direction, Bernard Herrmann score, or the more subtle elements like the Albert Whitlock matte paintings. However, the cruel, ugly story was just a massive turn-off; the LONG journey at over two hours did not feel worth the effort. I don’t even want to dwell on the film and the uncomfortable feelings it gave me. This is one I’d rather forget; there’s plenty of Hitch films I really like or love so no need to ever deal with this (probable) look at Hitchcock’s id and Freudian foolishness ever again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment