Runtime: 88 minutes
Directed by: Mia'Kate Russell
Starring: Sophia Wright-Mendelsohn, Tahlee Fereday, Ben O'Toole, Bailey Spalding, Steve Le Marquand
From: Many different Australian companies
A viewing that occurred due to discussion elsewhere. This was on a messageboard (technically, Discord) that has been obliquely mentioned by me in the past. Someone asked about Shudder’s recently exclusive releases, including Penny Lane. As the title intrigued & I knew this was an Aussie flick set in 1986…
In fact, Penny Lane is the name of a lead. She, her secret lesbian lover Toni, and their pal Amy are teens who spend one night in a beach house… where there isn’t a banker on the corner with a motorcar. Suddenly arrives Penny’s psychotic cousin Kat, who soon then brings her even more psychotic boyfriend Angus and his ruffian friends; deaths, bloodshed, yelling, revenge, and the usage of 80’s Aussie songs occurred.
I could quibble, undoubtedly. The tone was OOT, absurd, preposterous. This does attempt to echo the exploitation films of old-especially Ozploitation-which does include plenty of time viewing loathsome characters perform horrific acts on our heroes—even if the most upsetting moment was heard rather than shown. There are dumb moments-don’t scrutinize the plot too hard. As I figured, it’s about as foolish to criticize the language in an Australian movie as it is one from the UK, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t excessive.
On that note, recently some stranger commented on my review for a recent modern film I didn’t like & thought me a hypocrite because I complained about F-bombs there yet one of my favorites is Goodfellas. Some movies from the past before I grew frustrated with this issue are grandfathered in plus if I am a fan of the story and characters… regardless, I still enjoyed Penny Lane & would have rated it the same even if the constant vulgarities would have been less frequent. Speaking of language, Aussies will be amused that via this film, I now know what a dunny is!
Regardless, the movie was successful at making you despise the villains, especially Kat… the performance of Sophia Wright-Mendelsohn was one of the highlights. Yes, her father actually IS who you think it is. The revenge was satisfying-bloody and gruesome. There are fun moments, the pitch-black comedy was amusing rather than the irritating wink-at-the-camera crap that’s ruined cinema in recent years. The leading trio were all easy to root for, especially Tahlee Fereday as Toni. The score was good & there is something to be said about a modern picture where the nighttime scenes outdoors feature lighting that isn’t bad.
To echo a criticism of others elsewhere, they perhaps didn’t stick the landing. Even so, I still enjoyed this retro-flavored stew which at least wasn’t pretentious or smug. Penny Lane is instead big dumb fun—after the viewer is riled up for a long bit by the heels. For those that are fans of inclusion, plenty on the crew were females, as was director Mia’Kate Russell… no relation. Again, that doesn’t impact my rating but Dead still feels like the films of old, including its mean streak.
No comments:
Post a Comment